Hermannsburg test image

Early years

Pastor and Mrs O Liebler with two pack camels

Establishing the Mission – a perilous journey and an uncertain start

The Hermannsburg Mission was established in 1877, following an arduous 20-month journey from South Australia. It was managed by Lutheran missionaries and the Lutheran Church from 1877-1982. It is the last surviving mission developed by missionaries from the Hermannsburg Missionary Society in Germany under the influence the German Lutheran community in South Australia.

Read
The Manse- The home of the Heinrich family.

The Manse and its earliest inhabitants

The Manse was completed in 1888 and built to accommodate the first missionaries and their equally intrepid wives who had journeyed from Hamburg, Germany into a new and totally unfamiliar world in Central Australia.

Read
Winnecke’s 1894 survey of the colonist’s residence

The dream of a Lutheran colony in Central Australia

Building a strong Lutheran community took more than a couple of missionaries. The colonists’ building was home to the lay missionary families who played an essential role in maintaining the viability of the mission station.

Read
Meat house and chopping block

Feeding the Mission

Imagine the storage of meat in the outback heat without the convenience of modern refrigeration! The stone walls and stone floor served to provide an environment as cool as possible for keeping meat.

Read